These molasses crinkles are delicious and make great Christmas and holiday gifts. They are also a great cookie to leave out for Santa with some nut milk.
Molasses Crinkles [Vegan]
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. powdered stevia
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 cup prune puree (baby food works wonderfully)
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp. water (whisk together then let sit for a few minutes)
- 1/2 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
- 2 tbsp. crystallized ginger, minced
- Approximately 1/3 cup sanding sugar, for topping the cookies prior to baking
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, spices, stevia powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the coconut oil, butter and maple sugar until creamy. Add the flaxseed meal, prune puree and molasses, whisking until combined. Now stir in the flour until a thick dough forms. Put the dough in an air-tight container and let chill for a couple of hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and heat the oven to 350F. Have a small bowl with sanding sugar nearby. Scoop up a walnut-sized piece of dough and roll it into a ball. Dip one side of the ball into the sugar and place it on the baking pan. Continue with the remaining dough.
- Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, turning the pans halfway through for even baking. The cookies should be firm on the bottoms but still tender on the top. Let them rest on the cookies pans for a few minutes before transferring them to cooling racks.