Miso soup is a cornerstone of Japanese cuisine because it's incredibly nutritious, malleable, and easy to make. This recipe will give you a hearty miso broth that is full of flavor, soba noodles, and tofu.
Miso Noodle Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 6-8 scallions, thinly sliced, plus additional for garnish
- 8 ounces Shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup miso paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu, drained and cut into small cubes
- 1 full sheet of seaweed, sliced into strips
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Soba noodles, for garnish (check package to ensure that it is 100 percent buckwheat soba)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add the soba noodles, and cook them for about 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain and set them aside in a bowl of cool water.
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and green onions, season them with sea salt, and cook them until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the broth and water and bring it to a boil.
- Whisk in the miso paste, garlic, ginger, and tamari sauce.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the cubed tofu, seaweed, and scallions.
- Before serving, add the soba noodles, cubed tofu, seaweed, additional scallions and black sesame seeds.