The pizza cheese I used is made up of things like soy milk, vinegar, ketchup etc… ingredients I have found are available in most places around the world. It is especially useful when you really really want to eat a cheesy vegan pizza but cashews, nutritional yeast or store bought vegan cheeses are simply nowhere to be seen for thousands of miles. I kept the toppings pretty simple with these, just using some sliced tomatoes, green pepper, chili flakes and mushrooms, along with a marinara sauce base and the bubbly cheese sauce. They make a good little snack for parties and are still good after they have cooled. Pizza for breakfast anyone?
Mini Vegan Party Pizzas
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp instant dried yeast
- 8 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 tsp flaxseed (optional)
- 1 tsp mixed herbs (optional)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Bubbly Cheese Sauce:
- 4 1/2 ounces unsweetened soy milk
- 3 1/2 ounces sunflower oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard, preferably dijon if available
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder, or yeast extract
- 1 Tbsp maize, chickpea or plain flour
For the Dough:
- To make the dough mix the flour, salt, yeast, flaxseed and herbs in a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and warm water and mix together with your hands bringing it together to form the dough. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth. Set aside to rest in a lightly greased bowl covered with a damp tea towel whilst you prepare your fillings. This dough does not need to be left to rise for an hour or so like it would if you were making a loaf of bread.
For the Cheese Sauce:
- Heat the soy milk in a small saucepan until not quite boiling. Whisk the milk as you slowly pour in the oil. Lower heat and kept whisking as you add the apple cider vinegar.
- Whisk in all remaining ingredients, keeping the saucepan on the heat. Bring the mixture to the boil, simmer for about 1 minute and then turn off the heat. Now it’s ready to use!
For the Sauce:
- Heat oil in a medium sized saucepan on a low heat, add peeled, whole garlic cloves. Lightly brown the cloves, then add the herbs, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, sugar and salt, stir, then leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and remove garlic cloves before serving.
To Assemble Mini Pizzas:
- Once you have made up your dough, set aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Make up you marinara, or you can use sieved tomatoes straight out the bottle.
- Prepare your cheesy sauce and chop up any vegetables or other toppings you want to use. I used mushrooms, peppers, sliced tomato, chillis and onion. Get creative and use whatever’s your favorite!
- Preheat oven to 425 to 450 degrees.
- Take approx ¾ cup measures of pizza dough and roll up into a neat ball with your hands. Then either with a rolling pin or your hands flatten out into thin discs. Place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Add first your tomato base, then about a tablespoon of chessy sauce, then your desired toppings. You should be able to get about 4 on the baking sheet at a time. Bake for 10 minutes or until the crust is golden. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving and enjoy.