Mini fruit tarts have been bakery staples for pretty much as long as bakeries have been around. This recipe takes the spirit of this traditional dessert and makes it healthier. The crust is sweetened with dates, the cream cheese frosting is sweetened with agave, and the fruit is left without the sugary glaze. The result? A bright and colorful treat with only a fraction of the guilt! So, go ahead, have seconds!
Mini Fruit Tarts With Cream Cheese Frosting [Vegan]
For the Cookie Pizza Crust:
- 12 Deglet dates, pitted
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
For the Frosting:
- 3/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the Fruit Topping:
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup oranges, chopped
- 1/2 cup pineapple, chopped
- 1/2 cup kiwi, chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup grapes, quartered
- Soak 12 pitted Deglet dates in warm water an hour before you begin. Also, about 30 minutes before you begin, remove the cream cheese from the refrigerator so that it can soften.
- Once the dates are done soaking, make your dough. Combine the dates, almond meal, baking powder, salt, agave, coconut oil, and the vanilla in a food processor. Process until smooth. Then add the rolled oats and process until they are chopped into small pieces and evenly combined into the dough. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
- While the dough is chilling make the frosting. In a medium mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, agave, and vanilla. Using an electric mixer whip until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate until you’re ready to use.
- Cut up the fruit into small dime-sized pieces while the dough is chilling and then refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Roll the dough out between two pieces of parchment paper. Using a water glass as a cookie cutter, cut out 8 circles. This is a soft, sticky dough, so if the dough becomes hard to work with, place it in the freezer for a few minutes to harden. Also, peeling the parchment away from the dough cut outs like a sticker, instead of using a spatula, works best. Bake for 9-11 minutes, and then allow to cool.
- Once the cookie crust is done cooling, decorate your fruit pizzas by spreading on a layer of the cream cheese frosting and then sprinkle with fruit. Serve immediately.