If you are having trouble deciding which cuisine to make for dinner, why not choose a dish that fuses elements of your favorite two together? This Mexican-inspired pizza uses refried black beans in place of tomato sauce on top of a classic pizza dough. Top it off with corn, avocado, and salsa for a truly delicious slice. And how could we forget this out-of-this world nacho cashew "cheese" sauce? Drizzle it on to your heart's content.
Mexican Refried Bean Pizza [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Pizza:
- 1 store-bought pizza dough (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 can vegan refried black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 red onion
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/3 large avocado
- A few tablespoons mango habanero salsa
For the Nacho Cheese Sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup carrots
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup cashew milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Water, to thin out
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spread half a can of refried beans on your pizza dough where you would normally put pizza sauce. Top with red onion rings and frozen corn. Bake for 12–14 minutes (or according to pizza crust instructions).
- While your pizza dough is cooking up in the oven, prep the rest of your toppings. Chop lettuce, slice avocados, and open up your favorite jar of salsa.
- In a blender, add your raw cashews and carrots and top with boiling hot water. Set aside for at least 10 minutes. Drain and add the rest of your sauce ingredients and blend until completely smooth. Add water, a tablespoon at a time to thin out to your desired consistency. Taste and season further if necessary.
- When your pizza dough is completely cooked through and to your desired crispiness, remove from oven and begin to top it. Start with shredded lettuce, then avocado, then salsa. Finally, add a huge drizzle of nacho “cheese” sauce and top the whole thing with cilantro and a fresh squeeze of lime.