These Mediterranean eggplant boats are incredibly beautiful and stuffed to the brim with healthy vegetables, savory spices, and yummy goodness. This is the perfect dish to make when you're having company over.
Mediterranean Stuffed Eggplant [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium-sized eggplant
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 zucchini
- 1 8-ounce package Crimini mushrooms
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley leaves, dried
- 1 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1 tablespoon of mint leaves, dried
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves
- A pinch of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch pink Himalayan salt
- A handful slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Slice the eggplant in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the inside of the eggplant. Set aside the scooped out eggplant.
- In a baking dish, pour 1/2 cup of water in and set the eggplant shells in the dish.
- Cover them with tin foil and place them in the oven.
- Once the eggplant shell is placed in the oven, take out a pot and place it on the stove.
- Chop up all of these ingredients to create the filling: white onion, garlic cloves, zucchini, mushrooms, red pepper, and the eggplant flesh.
- Drizzle the pot with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, turn the stove on to medium heat, and add all of the chopped vegetables into the pot.
- Open the can of tomatoes and add them to the pot.
- Stir this on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Take the eggplant shells out of the oven but do not turn off the oven.
- Add these seasonings to the pot: parsley, mint, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, turmeric.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the pot and cook the mixture for another 5 minutes.
- Place the filling in the eggplant shells, and place them back into the oven for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the shell is lightly browned, take the eggplants out of the oven.
- Top the eggplant with the slivered almonds and mint leaves.