The potatoes in this recipe have a very slight acidity to them from the lemon and vinegar and a small note of bitterness from the greens. The creamy starchiness of the potatoes pulls it all together, making this the perfect side dish.
Mean Green Skillet Roasted Potatoes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Potatoes:
- 1 1/2 pounds baby or fingerling potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
For the Greens:
- 3 large lacinato kale leaves, tough stems removed
- 3/4 ounce fresh parsley
- 1/2 ounce fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (approximately 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- A drizzle, or more, of grapeseed oil
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high, heat melt coconut oil. Add sliced potatoes and stir to coat with oil. Cook potatoes until they are nicely golden on both sides, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Carefully pour in broth and reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook potatoes until liquid has been absorbed, stirring occasionally. When liquid is gone, remove pan from heat and let set for 2 minutes.
- While potatoes sit, place all greens ingredients into a food process or blender and pulse until finely chopped, adding additional oil or broth as needed. Add greens to potatoes and toss to coat. Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired. Serve warm.