Matcha has three times the antioxidants of other green teas as well as having higher levels than blueberries, pomegranates, orange juice and spinach. Matcha also contains theanine which can help to lower stress levels. So, what better place to use it than in a doughnut?!
Matcha Glazed Vanilla Bean Doughnuts With Matcha Cream Filling [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 5.7 ounces cup plant based milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 12 ounces self-raising flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dried active yeast
- Vegetable oil or neutral tasting oil to fry
- 6.7 ounces soy cream
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons matcha
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- Big pinch of matcha
- Start by melting the butter on a low heat, add in the milk, sugar, salt and vanilla. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix together the flour and the yeast in a large bowl.
- Once the butter mixture has cooled, pour it into the flour mixture and mix with your hands until a shaggy dough has formed.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, around ten minutes.
- Cover the dough and leave it to rise for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, roll it out to 3/4 inc wide and cut out round shapes with a cutter. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Cover the circles once again and leave for another hour to rise. Prepare the matcha cream.
- In a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water heat the soy cream and vegetable fat until the fat has melted.
- Whisk vigorously to incorporate the soy cream and vegetable fat.
- Remove from the heat and prepare an ice bath by filling a larger bowl with cold water and adding ice cubes – we added ten.
- Put the heat proof bowl into the ice bath and add the matcha powder.
- Keep whisking until all the matcha is incorporated.
- Once the mixture has cooled, whisk in 1/4 tsp of the xanthan gum until the cream is smooth, thick and glossy.
- Add in the extra 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum and whisk until smooth.
- Refrigerate the cream until you’re ready to fill the donuts.
- Once the donuts have risen, prepare your oil. Heat the oil in a deep sided pan or deep fat fryer until the oil reaches 325 degrees.
- Drop in the donuts one at a time, frying for a couple of minutes each side until golden brown.
- Place on a wire rack to cool and drain.
- Once the donuts are cool, remove the matcha cream from the fridge and spoon into a piping bag.
- Using a skewer, make a small hole in the side of each donut before piping in a small amount of cream. Don’t pipe too much or it will all leak out later on!
- Add the sugar and water to a saucepan and heat on a medium high heat until the sugar begins to melt.
- Add the pitch of matcha and whisk vigorously until incorporated.
- Boil the sugar for 3-5 minutes or until it coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and brush the glaze over the tops of the donuts!