Buttery, crumbly, and nutty melt-in-your mouth cookies with a delicate touch of matcha. These cookies are simple to make, delicious, and perfect for any celebration! If you’re not a fan or unsure of matcha, these cookies would be a good kick off point. The matcha isn’t overpowering, it’s restrained enough to meld into the fold, but there’s that perfect hint in every bite.
Matcha Cloud Cookies [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 8-ounces (1 cup/2 sticks) vegan butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (or gluten-free or grain-free if necessary)
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal/flour (or any other type of nut meal)
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder (or 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons for a deeper matcha flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 – 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon matcha, mixed (for dusting cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, a hand mixer or elbow grease, beat butter and powdered sugar (in a large mixing bowl if not using a stand mixer) until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract and beat for a few seconds to combine.
- Slowly add in flour, almond meal, matcha, cardamom and salt, mix on low speed until just combined, (use a spatula to mix, if not using a stand mixer), then increase speed and gradually mix until flour is mixed in and a dough is formed.
- Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour, or until dough is firm
- Using your hand, shape dough by the tablespoonful into balls and place on the prepared baking sheet, placing them about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until tops of cookies are set but before they begin to brown.
- Transfer cookies into a cooling rack, and dust with the sugar and matcha mix, using a sifter or fine sieve.