In this recipe, maple tempeh is sandwiched between two slices of sourdough bread, then topped with a cashew cheese, and caramelized apples and onions. This sandwich is the perfect balance of sweet and savory and is truly delicious. Serve this sandwich with the perfect side: a bowl of creamy tomato soup.
Maple Tempeh Sandwich With Caramelized Apples and Onions [Vegan]
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 apples, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to season the onions and apples, to taste
- 1 8-ounce block of tempeh, sliced
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted, plus 1 teaspoon for cooking
- Cashew cheese, for spreading
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- In a large, wide pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Sauté the onions until they begin to soften and become translucent, around 10-12 minutes.
- Add the apples and stir to prevent them from sticking to the pan. Add a few tablespoons of water or oil if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Cook until the apples are tender and the onions are caramelized. They should be golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, maple syrup, and melted coconut oil. Dip each of the slices into the marinade to evenly coat, and leave the slices in the marinade for at least five minutes.
- Heat up a pan on medium-low heat. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil and sear the tempeh until each side is browned.
- Place the slices of bread in your toaster and remove the tempeh from the heat.
- Spread two slices of bread with the cashew cheese. Place the tempeh on the cashew cheese and top with the caramelized onions and apples and the other slice of bread.