In this recipe for tres leches cake, a basic vanilla cake is soaked in a mixture of soy milk, coconut milk, and coconut cream are used to create a dessert that's moist and decadent. Topped with coconut cream frosting, fresh mango, and lime zest, this cake tastes like a cross between a mango margarita and a traditional tres leches cake. It's not overly sweet, making it perfect for any celebration.
Mango Lime Tres Leches Cake [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Cake:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
For the Tres Leches Milk Mixture:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, separated from a can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond mixture
For the Coconut Cream Frosting:
- 1 cup coconut cream separated from a can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
For the Topping:
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Place a can of full-fat coconut milk in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. Gently open and scoop out coconut cream, place in a small bowl. Save the milk for recipe.
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil an 8×8-inch cake pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Make a well and pour in the soy milk, oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Stir until just combined, do not over mix.
- Pour batter in pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool. Use a fork and poke cake to create holes for milk mixture to soak into.
For the Milk Mixture:
- Combine the coconut milk, soy milk, and almond extract. Pour onto cake and let soak for at least 2 hours.
To Make the Coconut Cream:
- In a small bowl, use an electric hand mixer set on high to mix coconut cream.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of maple syrup at a time. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed. Evenly spread on top of cake soaked in milk.
- Mix diced mango, lime and zest in a small bowl. Garnish cake right before serving.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS