When dinner needs to be ready in a hurry, soup is a great go-to meal. This soup has a lot going for it – it is ready in 15 minutes, the ingredients list is short, and the prep is almost non-existent. To boot, the soup is delicious! Chances are good you have a bag of leftover stale tortilla chips lurking in the back of your pantry and this is the perfect place to use them up to thicken the soup. With the addition of roasted corn, this soup is a make-again dish sure to please everyone at the table.
Roasted Corn and Lime Tortilla Soup
- 8 ounces of frozen (no need to thaw) or fresh corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup crushed baked or regular tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Garnish: tortilla chips, lime wedges, vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, sliced jalapenos (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the corn and roast until the corn is golden brown, about four minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, beans and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the chips. Stir and cook until the chips are soft and the soup is thickened, about three minutes. Add lime juice and season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with any or all of the garnishes.
Vegan, gluten free, nut free, optional oil free, quick and easy
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS