Roasted Corn and Lime Tortilla Soup
- 8 ounces of frozen (no need to thaw) or fresh corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil or water
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup crushed baked or regular tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Garnish: tortilla chips, lime wedges, vegan sour cream, vegan cheese, sliced jalapenos (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the corn and roast until the corn is golden brown, about four minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, beans and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add the chips. Stir and cook until the chips are soft and the soup is thickened, about three minutes. Add lime juice and season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with any or all of the garnishes.