This lentil vegetable soup is absolutely incredible. In addition to flavor, it is packed with protein, iron, and fiber from the lentils, powerful antioxidants such as vitamin A from the carrots, and various healing properties from the spices such as cumin, coriander, and garlic.
Lentil Vegetable Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup dry green (French) lentils
- 4-6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup macaroni or small pasta shapes of choice, optional
- 1 cup fresh chopped spinach or kale
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh basil or favorite herbs to garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add garlic, onion, carrots, and spices, and sauté 10 to 15 minutes, until softened.
- Add in lentils and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes, or until lentils are fully cooked and tender. You may add pasta in the last 10 minutes of cooking, if desired.
- At this point, you may stir in your spinach and season with sea salt. Allow to simmer for about 2 minutes more, then remove from heat and serve.