Strike the perfect balance between spicy and refreshing with this chunky, spicy lentil sauce over fresh and crisp zucchini noodles. This dish is loaded with hearty protein, thanks to the addition of lentils in this spicy marinara sauce. Enjoy this sauce over any kind of pasta or with creative dishes like mushroom and tofu scallops.
Lentil Fra Diavolo Over Zucchini Pasta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup of dry red lentils
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 28-ounce can of organic tomato puree
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
- Sea salt and pepper
- 4-5 zucchinis
- Rinse your lentils well in a mesh strainer, picking out any debris.
- Cook lentils according to package directions, about 25-30 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté briefly, until fragrant.
- Add the red pepper flakes and dried basil and mix through.
- Add the tomato puree, tomato paste, and a dash of sea salt and pepper and mix through.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Once the lentils are finished, drain any excess water and add the lentil to the sauce, along with the fresh parsley.
- Simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Using a spiralizer, create the zucchini noodles.
- Squeeze out the excess water, and then sauté them quickly in a pan until heated.
- Place the noodles onto a plate with a desired amount of sauce on top.