This dish is easy enough to make on a busy weeknight, without being boring. The meaty lentil coconut curry in this recipe sits on a bed of refreshing cucumber noodles. This recipe has so many different flavors going on at the same time; the lentil curry is spicy and tangy, the cucumber noodles are crisp and cool, and they're coated in a creamy cilantro pesto.
Lentil Coconut Curry With Pesto Cucumber Noodles [Vegan]
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted cashews, plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup packed cilantro, roughly chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 very large cucumbers, or 3 small cucumbers, spiralized
- In a large pot, whisk together the coconut milk, crushed tomatoes, water, and curry paste and bring to a boil. Whisk it frequently, in order to break down the curry paste.
- Once boiling, stir in the lentils, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the lentils have absorbed most of the liquid and are thick and creamy, about 20 minutes.
- While the lentils cook, place the cashews in a small food processor and process until broken down.
- Add in the cilantro, mint, ginger, jalapeño pepper, and lime juice, and process until broken down and blended.
- With the food processor running, stream in the water and coconut oil, and process until smooth and creamy, scraping the sides down as necessary.
- Place the spiralized cucumbers onto a paper towel and press out any excess moisture. Place them into a large bowl and add in the pesto. Toss the noodles until the pesto evenly covers them.
- Divide the noodles between plates, and divide the lentil curry on top of each pile of noodles.
- Garnish with extra chopped cilantro and cashews and serve.