A deliciously creamy lentil salad that can be served chunky or smooth. The punch of onion and the sweetness of the apricot, plus the crunch of almonds, dresses up this versatile legume beautifully.
Lentil Apricot Tapenade With Curry Aioli [Vegan]
- 1 cup cooked beluga or green lentils
- freshly ground pepper
- coarse sea salt
- 1 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh apricots, minced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan curry aioli
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup soy or almond milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ~1/2 cup olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- garam masala
- Combine almond milk, lemon juice and mustard in a blender or with an immersion blender for about 30 seconds. While blending, slowly add in the oil until emulsified and thickened. Add the salt, pepper and remaining spices and blend until smooth.
- Combine all ingredients - except aioli and lemon juice - in a bowl and mix until combined. If you're serving this chunky, set it aside. If you'd like more of a dip than a salad, transfer 3/4 of your mixture to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Recombine with chunky mixture.
- Whisk together aioli and lemon juice.
- Pour dressing over lentils mixture and serve.
If you're following a sugar-free diet, omit the apricots and swap in something with a softer sweetness. I've tried this with roasted sweet potato chunks, raw red pepper and a dollop of pumpkin puree (not at the same time: these were three different occasions), and while they change the taste of the tapenade, they're all really yummy.