This recipe uses a hidden banana, which is completely masked by wonderful, intense, tangy lemon juice and extract (or zest).
Lemon Blueberry Oatcakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk of choice
- Juice of one lemon (2-3 tablespoons)
- 2/3 cup gluten-free rolled or quick oats
- 1/2 a ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract of lemon zest
- Rounded 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Put all pancake ingredients except blueberries in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add extra liquid if necessary (just a tsp or so at a time). It should have the consistency of paint.
- Heat a griddle pan over medium low heat.
- When griddle pan is ready, spray with nonstick cooking spray (it only needs a little bit!), and use a large spoon or measuring cup to pour pancakes onto the griddle. I make my oatcakes on a one-egg frying pan, so it makes perfect, fluffy little circles.
- Drop some blueberries into your pancakes right away and push them down gently.
- When bubbles have formed at the top of the pancake, flip over and cook for another minute. Repeat until all the batter has been used!
- Serve with syrup, fresh fruit, lemon curd, lemony banana butter, pecans or other nuts, coconut, nondairy yogurt, and/or coconut whipped cream!