Baba Ghanoush (or Moutabel, depending on where you’re eating it) has to be one of the most delicious, moreish items to ever grace a mezze spread. But it’s also one of those dishes you order at a restaurant, thinking you’d never be able to recreate as tastily at home. I know – it’s taken me years to even attempt it, let alone realize the secret to making it (the secret being that it’s really, really simple).
Lemon and Thyme Baba Ghanoush [Vegan]
- 2 eggplants
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 organic lemon
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- pinch Himalayan pink salt
- smoked paprika, to garnish (optional)
- Set the grill to a high heat and place the aubergines on a foil-lined tray.
- Grill the aubergines for 15 minutes, turning occasionally to ensure even cooking. They should take on a blackened appearance and be soft all the way through.
- Once cooked, leave the aubergines to cool for a little while before peeling.
- Using a fork, mash the aubergine pulp in a mixing bowl and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve with a dusting of smoked paprika and toasted flat breads for a delicious mezze!