Kitchari is a hearty stew of Indian origin. This version is filled with nutritious, warming ingredients, making it the perfect comfort food. When you make this, your whole house will smell delicious.
Kitchari — Comforting Indian Vegetable Stew [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1 1/2 cups mung beans (soaked for 4 hours)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1/4 cup small diced peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeño, about 1 pepper
- 2 cup minced onion
- 4 cups medium diced eggplant
- 2 cups diced tomato or 1 15 oz can
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (if you don’t have seed, can use ground)
- 1 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon chili flake, to taste
- 2 curry leaf stalks, or 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 8 cups water
- 5 cups chopped kale
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Parsley, for serving
- Place all ingredients into a pressure cooker (preferred), or good sized pot, except kale.
For the Pressure Cooker Method:
- Bring to pressure, or boil. If using a pressure cooker, bring to pressure and turn down to low. Set timer for 12 minutes.
- Turn off stove, and let pressure drop. Let kitchari sit for another 10 minutes or so, for additional water to absorb
For the Traditional Method:
- Bring mixture to boil, reduce to simmer and cook until rice and mung beans are no longer hard, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in kale, and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Top with fresh parsley and serve with a salad.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Beans - Mung