What's better than key lime pie? Vegan key lime pie parfaits of course! Graham cracker crust, lime curd, and aquafaba whip cream make up the layers of this parfait. They are subtle on the sweetness and citrus side, but are packed with flavor. You won't believe how easy this dessert recipe is to make not to mention how delicious it is!
Key Lime Pie Parfaits With Aquafaba Whipped Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 4 large rectangle graham crackers (reserve 1 for topping, gluten-free if needed)
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
For the Lime Curd (you will want to make 5-6 hours prior or the day before):
- 1 14-ounce can coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar, plus more to taste
For the Aquafaba Whipped Cream:
- 4 tablespoons aquafaba (amount of liquid from 1 can of chickpeas)
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar (this helps give volume when beating the aquafaba)
- In small saucepan, add coconut cream and lime zest. In a small mixing bowl, whisk arrowroot starch and lime juice.
- Add to coconut cream mixture in saucepan and mix well. Add agave nectar and stir to combine.
- Place saucepan on medium heat and bring to a low bubble making sure to whisk often.
- Reduce heat to medium low and continue to whisk until thick and jiggly.
- Remove from heat and adjust sweetness if necessary. Let sit for 15 minutes to get thicker.
- Transfer to a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit 5-6 hours or overnight. Place graham crackers in blender. Pulse until they are finely ground.
- Add melted coconut oil and pulse a few more times until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Drain a can of chickpeas into a large mixing bowl and set the chickpeas aside for another recipe. Add powdered sugar and cream of tartar to mixing bowl.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, mix on high speed until peaks form (5-10 minutes). Mix until aquafaba is a light and fluffy consistency.
- Construct parfaits by layering graham cracker crumbles, lime curd, and whipped aquafaba on top. Garnish with graham cracker pieces and lime zest.
- Consume immediately. Aquafaba loses its volume fairly quickly so it’s best eaten right away.