The flavor of the black bean is so simple yet so delicious! Paired with this Mexican coleslaw, you really have a winner. Spicy, smokey, citrus, tons of texture, and ultimately healthy for you!
Jalapeño Black Bean Patties With Mexican Coleslaw [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Patties:
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 jalapeno, de-seeded, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup oats – pulsed into flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin, coriander, and oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt (or to taste)
To Make the Slaw:
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 red pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 ears corn or equivalent frozen corn thawed
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 2-3 tablespoons chipotle adobo sauce (from a can)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin and chili powder
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place jalapeno, red onion, and garlic in a small skillet with 1 tablespoon oil. Cook until the onion begins to turn translucent (about 5 minutes) just to take the edge off of the flavors.
- Dump all patty ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mostly smooth. Having some whole beans is totally fine!
- Place mixture in a bowl and let set in fridge for about 15 minutes (can prep slaw during this time)
- After the mixture has set, divide into 4 patties and place in a lightly greased skillet to sear each side.
- Make the dressing: mix the mayo, chipotle adobo sauce, spices, lime, and salt and pepper in a bowl. You can add a tablespoon of water if you want to dilute. Mix well and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, red pepper, onion, corn, pumpkin seeds, and cilantro. Top with dressing and mix well! Adjust seasoning as needed.