A lesser known bean variety, yellow Italian flat beans, also known as wax beans, are a must on your grocery list. In this recipe, olive oil, garlic, and fresh heirloom tomatoes are the simplest of flavors, yet they enhance the tender cooked beans in a way that tastes like magic. Serve this as a side to roasted cauliflower or a meaty grain-based loaf.
Italian Yellow Flat Beans With Olive Oil, Garlic, and Tomatoes [Vegan]
- 1 pound Italian flat yellow beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fresh red shallot, or a small new white onion, chopped
- 2 closes garlic, minced
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 6-ounce carton cherry or heirloom tomatoes, halved
- Trim the beans as necessary and drop them into a pot full of boiling salted water.
- Cook until the beans are crisp and tender, then remove and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the chopped shallot or onion and cook over medium heat until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the cooked, drained beans and heat them up in the skillet, mixing with a wooden spoon to coat them with the aromatics. You can add a little olive oil, if necessary.
- When the beans are warmed up, remove from heat and serve warm.