It only takes a handful of ingredients to make an incredibly satisfying burger, perfect for a healthy lunch or dinner. The beans and quinoa provide LOADS of protein. These burgers in general are just a power house of nutrients. What're you waiting for?
Italian White Bean Quinoa Veggie Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Veggie Burger:
- 2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flax seed, plus 3 tablespoons water per "egg")
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour (see notes)
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, chopped
- 1 can white beans
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
For the Pesto:
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
To Make the Veggie Burgers:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix 2 tablespoons ground flax with 5 tablespoons water. Place in refrigerator to set.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to pot on medium heat.
- Rinse quinoa and add to pan. Toast for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and bring to boil for 13-15 minutes until quinoa is cooked.
- Remove from burner and place lid on top.
- In small pan on medium heat, cook sun dried tomatoes and onions for 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until it becomes fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add 1/2 cup of oats to the blender or food processor and blend until it is a flour.
- Drain can of white beans and add to large mixing bowl. Mash beans in bowl with the backside of a fork.
- Fluff quinoa with fork and remove flax egg from the refrigerator. Add to mixing bowl with white beans along with oat flour, veggies, and seasonings.
- Put in refrigerator for 20 minutes to help bind ingredients (if you have time. If not, it's okay).
- Using a mason jar lid, make mixture into patties.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
To Make the Pesto:
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.