This recipe is traditional mixed with creativity and it's just so delicious. This soup is guaranteed to make everyone in your family fall in love with it. The ball recipe is a bit more tedious and proves to need a bit more attention but even then it's still really easy. I mean all you do is add the ingredients into a food processor, blend, and then wait till you can roll them into little balls of love and cruelty-free heaven. This whole recipe is made using natural food and organics foods when you can (like the beans and the veg).
Easy Italian Wedding Soup With White Bean Balls [Vegan]
For the Balls:
- 1-14 ounce can white beans, drained and strained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill and parsley
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (or gluten-free bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, ribboned, use a vegetable peeler
- 3 cloves of garlic, pressed or crushed or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 8 cups vegetable stock, unsalted
- 3/4 cup acini de pepe (a grain-like type of pasta)
To Make the Balls:
- Into a food processor add all the ingredients and blend till completely combined. You want it to be sticky but well blended. You will have to stop a few times to scrape down the sides.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl, cover with parchment and let sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Before removing from fridge preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Remove mixture from fridge, roll into 2 inch balls and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper - you can spray your parchment with a bit of coconut oil.
- Cook for 30 minutes turning balls halfway through - you want them to look like they've been boiled, not baked (aka not too golden).
To Make the Soup:
- Into a large pot add your olive oil and let it heat up for a few seconds.
- Add your onions and carrots and let them sweat down on medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Turn your heat to high and add your garlic, salt and pepper. Stir for a few seconds.
- Now add your wine and fresh herbs. Your house is now smelling fabulous and you are becoming increasingly excited to eat this soup!
- Let the wine cook down for about 5 minutes and then add your stock and bring it to a boil. Once boiling add your Acini De Pepe and let it cook on low heat for around 10 minutes.
- At the last minute add your spinach and add your balls to the soup.
- Serve with fresh dill and a few drops of lemon!