This is a great dish and worth the effort to plan ahead so that it can be served chilled. Prepare up to 2 days in advance and store in a covered container in the refrigerator. Texas Caviar is said first to have been served on New Year’s Eve at the Houston Country Club sometime around 1940.
Instant Pot Texas Black-Eyed Peas Caviar [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound cooked corn kernels
- 1/2 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 pickled jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Press the Bean button on the Instant Pot™ and add the black-eyed peas and water. Lock the lid into place and cook for the default time of 30 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, allow pressure to release naturally until float valve drops and unlock lid. Drain the peas.
- Transfer the peas to a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to the beans and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate 1–2 hours before serving.