This carrot cake is a harmonious combination of natural flavors and textures for a delectable spring dessert. So in honor of Easter and the emergence of spring, give this carrot cake recipe a try and enjoy its sweet and delicious taste.
Iced Carrot Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free]
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and shredded (a food processor makes this step much easier)
- 3 cups gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons unrefined salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Optional 1/4 cup raisins
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 2 cups unrefined sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 1 cup water (let sit for ten minutes until thickened)
For the Icing:
- 1 cup room temp coconut oil or earth balance buttery spread
- 6 cups powder/castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined salt
- First, preheat the oven to 350°F and start by washing then peeling the carrots.
- Next finely shred them with a grater or in a food processor for a much easier process.
- Add dry ingredients to a medium sized bowl and whisk. Add in the shredded carrots and mix.
- Next, combine the ground flaxseed with a cup of water and whisk, set aside for ten minutes. Meanwhile, combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl and taste just in case.
- Add the thickened flax-water mix to the wet ingredients, mix, then add wet to dry. Mix until cake batter forms and transfer to two standard sized greased circle pans.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or more depending on climate. Just keep checking until a fork inserted comes out clean.
- Take out and let cool.
- Prepare frosting and once cake has cooled, flip one cake onto a plate and frost.
- Next, top with other cake layer and frost that one. Slice, garnish, and serve. Enjoy the sweetness!