Za'atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend that makes everything taste like magic, from chickpea salads to roasted eggplants. If you have trouble sourcing sumac, trusty Amazon or a local Middle Eastern shop might help. Either way, once you start making your own za'atar, you won't be able to stop sprinkling it on everything!
Homemade Za’atar Blend [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 teaspoons ground sumac
- 2 heaped tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon toasted white sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, pulled off the stem
- Simply toss into a mason jar, screw on the lid and shake it like a Polaroid picture.
Great as a salad garnish, on unsweetened vegan yogurt with a drizzle of olive oil, on top of fresh hummus or baba ghanoush, or in a piping hot tagine.