There is something so satisfying about taking something common that can be bought at the store and making it yourself, in no time flat, with virtually no headache (unless you drank a lot of wine, that’s another problem for another time). There is something that feels so culinary savvy about saying “Oh yes, I made my own crackers/chips/tortillas/peanut butter, no biggie”.
Homemade Wheat Thins [Vegan]
- 1 1/4 cups (5 oz) 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for sprinkling on
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water (or a tiny bit more if dough is too dry)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, paprika, salt).
- With or two forks, cut in the Earth Balance or butter into the flour mixture until crumbly. See image below. Now mix together the water and vanilla and then pour into the flour and Earth balance mixture. Stir this mixture until it comes together. I got in there with my hands and really squeezed the dough to help it come together. If it appears dry add a touch of water, but you don’t want it too sticky.
- Split the dough in half. On a floured surface or on a non-stick mat, roll out one half of the dough very thin (1/16th inch). Using a pizza cutter, cut into whatever shape you desire. Using a spatula, place the crackers on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat as necessary. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, watching closely. Half way through baking rotate the pan to ensure even baking. Check on them periodically, they burn easily!
inspired by Oh She Glows