There can never be enough good seitan recipes. In this one, seitan is simmered in a zesty broth composed of spices such as ginger, thyme, oregano, chili flakes, and turmeric. You can follow the recipe as is, or throw in your favorite spices. Having seitan made and on hand is super useful for making quick stir-frys, savory pies, and stews. Enjoy!
Homemade Simmered Seitan [Vegan]
For the Seitan:
- 3 cups vital wheat gluten flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Broth:
- 8 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-inch piece of ginger, sliced
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then whisk up the vegetable broth, soy sauce, and olive oil and pour into mixing bowl with dry ingredients. Mix together with your hands into an elastic dough, then knead for 3-5 minutes.
- Leave gluten dough to rest while you prepare the simmering broth.
- Mix all ingredients in a large stock pot and bring to the boil.
- Tear off 1/4 cup sized chunks of gluten dough and flatten and shape into small cutlets, then drop, one by one, into the broth. Once all dough is in the pot, bring back to boil then reduce heat so the liquid is gently simmering, covering half of the pot with a lid.
- Simmer the seitan for 45-50 minutes, until firm, then drain.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Seitan (Plant Protein)