Agar agar is a jelly-like substance obtained from algae, but what's most interesting is that it's a perfect plant-based substitute for gelatin! You can use it for so many things. It can be used to make jellies, flans, mousse, vegan ice cream, vegan cheeses, vegan cheesecake, jams without sugar, sauces, and broth. The possibilities are endless with agar agar. This recipe uses it to make the gummy texture we all know and love in gummy bears.
Homemade Gummy Bears [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup orange juice, pineapple, raspberry, cherry, etc. depending on the color you want the gummies to be
- 1 teaspoon agar agar
- Sweetener to taste (1 tablespoon of sugar or 7 drops of stevia for 1 cup silicone molds)
- We put the orange juice in a saucepan (small pot with mango) and boil it for a few minutes.
- Place the agar agar into 1/4 cup of cold water and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in the juice and boil over high heat for three minutes. We roll with metal rods so that no lumps are formed.
- Empty the liquid into the molds.
- Leave at room temperature for about 20 minutes. After this, put it in the refrigerator for another 20 minutes.
You can make a faster version of the jelly beans using vegetable dyes to give them color. In this case, you should only pour one drop of dye into the cup of hot water.
- Agar Agar