This recipe teaches you how to make your very own homemade grenadine from fresh pomegranate seeds, lemon juice, and sweetener. Making grenadine from scratch may seem like a heavily involved process, but the results are well worth it. Once you take your first sip, then nothing else will compare.
Homemade Grenadine [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 2 large pomegranates
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Fill a large bowl with water. Fill about 3/4 of the bowl.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut and remove the top of the fruit. Then, make cuts lengthwise around the pomegranate and place it in the water.
- Using your hands, pull each quarter apart and start breaking the seeds out. Let them fall back into the water. To make the process easier, remove as much of the big chunks of white fiber that the seeds are attached to.
- Once you have all the seeds removed from the shell, you’ll notice they sink to the bottom of the bowl, while the white fiber floats to the top. Take out all the white fiber. If there are some still attached to seeds, carefully remove them, and stir the water with your hand, so more remanent floats to the top.
- Using a colander or fine mesh strainer, strain the seeds and rinse.
- Place the seeds in a blender and pulse a few times. Don’t blend for too long, the point is to break the seeds and release the juice. 5-7 quick 3 second pulses should be enough. You might need to do this in batches depending on your blender.
- Prepare a large bowl to catch the juice and strain the seeds/juice. Most of it will be juice by now, but to get the most out of the seeds, press down with a spatula to extract as much juice as possible.
- Discard the seeds / pulp and strain the juice again to make sure there are not pieces of hard seed left.
- Depending on the size and quality of the fruit, you can get from 1/4 to 1/2 cup from 1 pomegranate. In a saucepan, heat the juice over medium heat, for about 5 minutes. Do not let it boil.
- When it starts to get bubbly around the edges of the pan (the bubbles will look lighter than the rest of the juice), add the sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and add lemon juice and let it cool at room temperature.
- Once the grenadine is completely cool, transfer to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator.
Grenadine will keep for 1 month.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS