These homemade ravioli will be a success with children and adults alike. Hearty homemade pasta is stuffed with vegan mozzarella and then topped with a rustic, roasted vegetable marinara that's easy to customize to your own tastes. While making the ravioli is a bit time-consuming, this recipe makes it very well worth your while.
Homemade ‘Cheese’ Ravioli With Roasted Vegetable Marinara [Vegan]
For the Pasta:
- 2 cups semolina flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water plus a bit more if needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Vegan mozzarella
For the Marinara:
- 2 15-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 4 ounces tomato paste (roughly half of a small can)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 white onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Thyme, to taste
- Basil, to taste
- Oregano, to taste
- Herbs de Provence, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
To Make the Ravioli:
- Mix the ingredients together to form a stiff dough.
- Then roll out the dough on a floured board until you to a thickness of 1/8-inch. Don't measure this, just try to get it really thin without tearing it.
- Cut circles with your handy biscuit cutter or rocks glass, stuff them with the mozzarella, and seal the edges with a bit of water and a fork. This is easier if you let the pasta dry out for a bit.
- Once you've made the ravioli, lay them out on a cookie sheet for about an hour on each side. This obviously increases your prep time, but it helps them stay together in the water.
- Cook them in 6 quarts of boiling water with salt and oil. This will take approximately 10 minutes. The thickness of your dough will determine the cook time.
To Make the Sauce:
- Arrange the vegetables on a cookie sheet with a few tablespoons of olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and a 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Roast them, at 450°F, for about 30 minutes or until they're well-browned. Be sure to flip them occasionally.
- Combine all the tomato products in a Dutch oven or large saucepan and heat them, on medium-low, until they're warm. Add the veggies and stir the mixture well.
- Season the sauce to your tastes and let it all simmer for about 30 minutes. At this point, use an immersion blender to purée the sauce.
- Pour the warm sauce over the ravioli before serving them.
Pasta recipe is courtesy of 'The Artful Vegan'.