Waste not, want not – and eat well while you're doing it. This recipe teaches you how to make all of the leftovers from the holidays into delicous, flaky tarts. It combines your mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and several other staples into a refreshingly new dish.
Holiday Leftover Tart [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 small onions
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes or white potatoes, divided
- 1 cup roasted Brussels sprouts, green beans, or broccoli
- 2 packages of vegan puff pastry
- 1/2 cup spreadable vegan cheese of your choice
- Cranberry sauce, for topping (optional)
- Vegan gravy, for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a blender, add the cashews, water, ground red pepper, and vinegar. Blend the ingredients on high until they are creamy.
- In a small pan, sauté the onion and chopped kale leaves in olive oil. Continue to cook until the onion is translucent and the kale leaves are soft.
- Lay the two puff pastries on a lined baking sheet.
- Divide the cashew cream into two portions and spread a thin layer in the middle of the puff pastry.
- Next add the potatoes to each pastry. Spread a somewhat thin layer over the cashew cream, being sure to leave some space around the edge, as if you were preparing a pizza.
- Top it with your green vegetable.
- Finish it with dollops of your spreadable cheese, cranberry sauce, and gravy.
- Fold the corners of the pastry over so they meet in the middle but don't completely cover the inside of the pastry. Next, fold over the sides to form a crust.
- Place in the oven and bake according to puff pastry package instructions.