Holiday Candied Pecans Recipe [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Serves2 1/2 cups
- 2 ½ cups pecans, large pieces or halves
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup cane sugar
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ginger
- 1 Tbsp. vegan butter substitute
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
You Will Also Need:
- Candy thermometer
- Silicone Cookie Sheet Liner (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with a silpat (optional).
- Spread pecans out evenly on the baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 5 minutes (set your timer!).
- Turn the oven heat down to 250 degrees F and place pecan pieces aside on a plate or in a bowl. Allow baking sheet to cool down. Once cooled, wipe off the remaining crumbs so it is ready to use again. Reline the baking sheet with the silpat if using. Grease the baking sheet or silpat with 1 Tbsp. vegan butter substitute.
- In a large non-stick saucepan, or in a regular saucepan greased with vegan butter substitute, clip a candy thermometer to the side. Add water, cane sugar, sea salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Turn heat to medium high and stir frequently until sugar comes to a boil, use caution as it becomes very hot. Once the sugar is boiling stop stirring and cook over medium heat until the candy thermometer reads 235 degrees F. On my thermometer this is just about at soft ball stage.
- Using caution, remove the hot caramel from the heat, and quickly stir in vanilla, followed by the pecan pieces. Poor the candied pecans onto the greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 30 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes and 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on the silpat if you lined your baking sheet, or if not cool pecans on waxed paper.
- Store in an airtight jar or container.