The soup is really hearty and filling. Packed with vegetable protein and oh so good for you. Great for leftovers. Not a frightening green color that may scare little kids away either. Serve it with crusty bread, crackers and some lovely gluten-free rolls and the pot will be gone. This soup thickens up perfectly once you cook it down for an hour and remove the lid. It’s heavenly.
High-Protein Split Pea Vegetable Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 hot or mild pepper, depending on your taste, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 small/medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 cups dried split peas
- 8 cups of vegetable stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon of dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add your olive oil to a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and peppers and allow to sweat for 4-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add spices and stir.
- Allow to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, potatoes and split peas.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a low flame and cover.
- Cook for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Using a hand immersion blender, puree about 75% of the soup leaving some veggie chunks. You can also add a blender if you wish.
- Return to the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with some parsley.
- Split Pea