They are easy to make, gluten-free, nut-free, low in fat, and full of protein, veggies and a rich barbeque flavor. Makes a great meat-free alternative put also pairs well with other barbequed meals!
High-Protein BBQ Lentil Savory Muffins [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup dry green or black lentils (cooked)
- 1 large onion or spring onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno or Ancho chili
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Crystal salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup millet flour (or rough corn flour)
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- Preheat the oven to 355°F.
- In a large bowl mix half of the lentils, millet flour, flaxseed, water, salt, corn, and BBQ sauce.
- Grind the carrot, onion, garlic, chili, and the other half lentils in a food processor until smooth.
- Mix the two batters together (by hand) and let it sit for 10 minutes so the flour can soak up the water.
- Bake in a greased muffin or loaf form for 15 min. Then coat muffins with a little more BBQ sauce and bake another 15 - 20 min until done (check with toothpick).
Enjoy warm. They also taste great when stored in the fridge overnight and a couple of days later.