This recipe is very simple but irresistible: radicchio blanched in water and vinegar, flavored with herbs and seasoned with light oil. It is a delicious appetizer, and very good on toasted bread croutons.
Herbed Radicchio [Vegan]
- 3 heads of radicchio late
- 8 cups water
- 5 ounces vinegar (transparent)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon citric acid (optional)
- About 5 juniper berries
- 2 laurel leaves
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- Light extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Black pepper / pepper or chili pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring the water to the boil with vinegar and salt. Wash the radicchio peeled the part of the root, and divide each group into four parts in the lengthwise direction. Keep it a few minutes to soak.
- When the water is boiling, add the citric acid and dip the radicchio segments four at a time for about 2/3 minutes depending on the size (they must not be crushed or too crispy).
- Remove them from the water with a forceps and let them cool in water and ice. Then spread them on a towel to dry very well. Proceed like this with all the radicchio.