In this recipe, fresh, savory heirloom tomatoes are diced fine with red onion, and fresh basil then served over garlicky toasted sourdough bread. Using only the finest quality olive oil ensures the best possible flavor in this classic Italian antipasto. Serve these as an appetizer at any party and they're sure to be a hit.
Heirloom Tomato Bruschettas With Pine Nuts [Vegan]
- 4 slices of sourdough bread, toasted
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 1/2 cups heirloom tomatoes of different colors, chopped into 1/2 pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of the finest quality olive oil, plus more for toasting the bread
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- A handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A handful of pine nuts
- Toast the sourdough slices with a drizzle of high-quality olive oil. Once toasted, rub each slice with a clove of garlic on one side only.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet, until slightly browned.
- In a bowl, mix together the chopped tomatoes, red onion, basil, balsamic vinegar, and the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the tomato mix on the bread, then sprinkle the toasted pine nuts on top.