A simple recipe for a comforting, hearty soup comes in very handy on those winter days when you're pressed for time to cook dinner, and yet you're in the mood for a warm, filling soup that tastes like you had to put a lot of effort into it. The combination of lentils and a hearty grain like barley provides nutrients and essential amino acids that help our bodies build muscle. Potatoes make this soup even more filling. Don't have barley in your pantry at the moment? Brown rice or quinoa will work just as well.
Hearty Barley Lentil Soup With Potatoes [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/3 cup dry barley (may substitute with brown rice or other grain of choice)
- 2 medium white potatoes or 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 7 cups low-sodium vegetable broth/water
For the Spices:
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon fenugreek (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add 2 Tbsp of water/broth to a heated large heavy-bottomed soup pot. When the liquid starts bubbling, add chopped onion, celery, and carrot along with minced garlic. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft. Add more liquid if necessary to prevent the mixture sticking to the pot.
2. In a separate pot, bring your broth or water to a boil, set aside.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients (including spices, except for salt and pepper) to the soup pot, stir. Add boiling water/broth. Bring to a boil again, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are soft and lentils and barley are cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. When done, take the soup pot off the heat, let stand 10-15 minutes to cool off. Serve with a garnish of chopped scallions or other greens. Enjoy!
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS: