Chocolate bars and candy bars don't have to be packed with unnatural sugars to be tasty and delicious. These vegan "Snickers" bars have a raw 'nougat' base, a scrumptious date caramel filling, a chocolate coating. And it wouldn't be a Snickers without tons of peanuts! These bars are pretty darn close to the real thing; the only difference is that they are much better for you.
Healthy Copycat Snickers Bars [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Nougat:
- 1 cup of Brazil nuts, soaked for 1 hour then drained
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted peanuts
- 1 can of coconut cream (cream only)
- 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of ground almonds
For the Caramel Layer:
- 7.4 ounces of Medjool dates, soaked for 1 hour
- 4/5 cup and 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Topping:
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Vegan dark chocolate
To Make the Nougat:
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add all of the nougat ingredients into a food processor/blender and whizz up until smooth.
- Press the mixture into the lined pan and pop into the freezer for around 1-2 hours.
To Make the Caramel:
- Place the soaked dates into a food processor/blender and whiz up until smooth, adding in the water and vanilla a little at a time.
- Smooth over the nougat, sprinkle over some peanuts, and then pop back into the freezer while you make the chocolate.
To Make the Chocolate:
- Fill a small saucepan with hot water and place a heat-proof bowl on top, creating a bain-marie.
- Add in the chocolate and coconut oil and melt until smooth.
- Dunk the bars into the chocolate, even out with a spatula or spoon, and pop back into the freezer until the chocolate sets. This will take around 30 minutes. Serve cold, as they will soften if left at room temperature for too long.