These spicy, sweet, and satisfyingly sticky kebabs are perfect for grilling! The harissa adds the perfect amound of heat that is quickly cooled down by the refreshing cucumber mint relish. Serve these kebabs in soft flatbreads with the tangy relish, jewel-like pomegranate seeds, and a generous drizzle of tahini.
15-Minute Harissa Eggplant Kebabs With Cucumber Mint Relish [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Kebabs:
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1 1/4-inch chunks
- 6 whole cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 large flatbreads (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 small pomegranate, seeds only
- Generous drizzle of tahini paste
For the Relish:
- 1/4 small cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- handful of fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat. Thread the eggplant chunks and cherry tomatoes onto two metal or pre-soaked wooden skewers.
- Whisk the harissa paste and maple syrup into a large bowl, then dip the skewers into the mixture, generously coating the eggplant and tomatoes. Place the skewers onto the griddle pan for 5–6 minutes, then turn on the other side and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the relish. Put the cucumber and red onion in a small bowl and stir through the mint. Sprinkle over the vinegar and allow to infuse while the kebabs are cooking.
- Arrange the grilled flatbreads on a platter and liberally sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds. Carefully remove the kebabs from the griddle pan and slide off the vegetables onto the flatbreads. Spoon over the relish and tahini and serve immediately.