We've all heard of baking and puréeing pumpkin, but one of the best kept secrets of the fall vegetable is that it is absolutely scrumptious when cooked on the grill. Get on out and cook this recipe before the weather gets too chilly! The pumpkin cooks through quickly so you won't have to brace the cold for long when making this amazing dinner.
Grilled Pumpkin With Spinach Cauliflower Pesto [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 small Delica pumpkin
- 1.7 ounces cauliflower
- 1 handful spinach
- 15 almonds
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 lemon
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt, as needed
- Pepper, as needed
- Cut the cauliflower slices and season with oil, salt, pepper, and lemon and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Wash the pumpkin, remove the internal seeds (you can make them dry in a low temperature oven or in a dryer and then eat them as a snack) and cut into slices of about 1/5-inch thick. Soak the almonds by immersing them in boiling water for three minutes. Then, soak with pumpkin seeds for a couple of hours.
- Heat the griddle and lightly fry the pumpkin slices. Place them on the hot grill by lowering the temperature slightly and grilling them on both sides for a few minutes.
- Put the almonds, pumpkin seeds, cauliflower, spinach, and salt into the food processor or blender and mix until creamy. Add two tablespoons of oil and a little water and lemon juice to taste (without exaggerating) and continue to mix intermittently until you get a soft pesto.
- Serve the hot pumpkin with pesto and slices of toast if you like.