I had no clue that cookies made out of green peas could taste so good. I wanted to make a simple and quick dessert and my whole focus was my daughter. She loves cookies so much that sometimes her day starts with cookies. Hmmm. Enter these green pea, calcium-rich tofu, and protein-packed almond flour cookies. Nutritious and delicious food to the rescue!
Green Protein Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup silken tofu, mashed
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 15 raw almonds
- Preheat oven at 350°F and prepare a cookie sheet with a liner.
- In a food processor/grinder combine peas and dates and grind as smooth as possible.
- In a mixing bowl, spoon the peas mix and add tofu and mix well with a spoon.
- Then add almond flour, salt, and baking powder and mix well with your hand.
- Very soft dough like texture will be formed.
- Take a tablespoonful of the dough between palms and form a round shape and gently flatten in the middle. Try to even out the flat round cookies as much as possible.
- Put the cookies on the cookie sheet and garnish with raw almonds. (one almond on each cookie and press very gently so they stick together).
- Put the cookie sheet in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly brown in color.
- Take it out of the oven and let the cookies cool down for a while and serve.
Adding almonds for garnishing adds to the flavor of the cookies and gives it a crunchy texture. Can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.