This simple recipe for two combines fragrant couscous with roasted cauliflower, tofu, and a fresh tomato salad. Full of aromatics, such as turmeric, bay leaf, and ginger, this warming meal is simple and flavorful.
Golden Couscous Bowl with Tomato Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup couscous
- 1¼ cups boiling water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp raw unsalted cashews
- 1 tbsp golden raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion (about 1/5 of a red onion)
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber (about a 2-3 inch piece)
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes (10-12)
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Roasted Cauliflower and Tofu
- 1/2 block of tofu
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets, trimmed
- 3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning (alternately, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic power, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper)
- olive oil for drizzling (be generous)
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Combine all the ingredients for the tomato salad and set aside to marinate.
- Meanwhile, place the tofu and cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet, and add spices and a generous drizzle of olive oil. Toss lightly (add more olive oil if desired) and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until tender and cauliflower is cooked through and browning.
- Remove sheet from oven and toss to mix. Turn off oven heat and set to broil on high. Return sheet to oven for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully to make sure that the cauliflower and tofu get crispy, but do not burn or char.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- For the couscous, heat oil, bay leaf, turmeric, and ginger in a saucepan over medium heat until spices are cooking and aromatic.
- Add cashews and stir until the cashews begin to become golden. Add dry couscous to saucepan and stir until evenly coated in spices. Be careful not to burn couscous
- Turn off heat, add boiling water, stir, and cover. Leave for 5-6 minutes, until couscous is cooked through.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and add golden raisins.
- To prepare bowls, divide couscous evenly between two bowls and top with roasted cauliflower/tofu mixture and tomato cucumber salad.