This gluten-free seitan roast is a great vegan meat substitute for anyone transitioning to a plant based diet, or for anyone that has been vegan for years and is just looking for something tasty to eat. Traditional seitan uses vital wheat gluten for a hearty and protein rich meat substitute, but this version relies on gluten-free flours and beans to create an alternative for those trying to keep gluten out of their diets.
Veggie Roast [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 17 ounces cooked beans
- 3.5 ounces cooked rice or quinoa
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried sage leaves
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- Black pepper, to taste
- Place the beans and cooked rice in a food processor and blend until reasonably smooth but still with some chunky texture.
- Place bean and rice mixture in a mixing bowl and add all of the remaining ingredients. Mix well with your hands until it all holds together.
- Preheat your oven to 360°F.
- Place your mixture on some non-stick parchment paper and fold closed. Wrap in some aluminum foil and bake in oven for 45 minutes.