Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes a sweet treat that is full of healthy ingredients like blackstrap molasses, dates, chia seeds, and coconut oil. These cupcakes are bound to be a hit with both friends and family!
Gingerbread Cupcakes Topped with Date Icing
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds, 6 tablespoons water
- 2 1/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted, roughly 9
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water, depending on how dry the dates are
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cardamom
- 2 tablespoon orange zest for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or silicone liners.
- Grind chia seeds and add water. Mix and set aside to for 5 minutes to make chia eggs.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix molasses, melted coconut oil, almond milk, chia eggs, vanilla and orange zest.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into muffin liners until ¾ full and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- To make the icing, place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Let cool the cupcakes for 30 minutes, ice, and sprinkle with orange zest.