This slice of sourdough toast is just what you need when your body is craving a light bite to eat. It's topped with a creamy garlic and onion cashew cheese spread and piled high with bright, lemony lima beans. Delicious and high in protein, this is perfect as a simple snack or light meal.
Garlic and Onion Cashew Cheese and Lima Bean Toast [Vegan]
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 3/4 cups frozen lima beans, defrosted and patted dry
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, divided
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground onion powder
- pinch ground garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 thick slices crusty bread, like sourdough, toasted
- In a medium bowl, cover raw cashews with warm water. Allow to sit for a minimum of 60 minutes, then drain water and rinse cashews.
- Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, gently toss lima beans, parsley, olive oil, and juice of 1/4 lemon until well combined. Season to taste. Set aside.
- Once cashews have soaked, in a high-speed blender, or food processor fitted with an "S"-blade, blend cashews, remaining juice of 1/4 lemon, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, and garlic powder until very smooth. Season to taste. Transfer to a mason jar or airtight container.
- On each slice of toast, evenly spread 1/8 of cashew ‘cheese mixture’. Top with 1/8 of lima beans and greens mixture. Serve.