Mmmmmmmmmm. You know those recipes that surprise you? The ones where you go “Nah, that isn’t possible! You can’t take dense flours and unprocessed sugars and make them taste like white flour desserts.” I’m here to tell you, it is possible! In fact, this vegan-style moist chocolate mug cake will amaze you with these wholesome ingredients. There are no hydrogenated oils, no butter, no eggs, processed sugars or flours that will spike your blood sugar. Yet, it still tastes like a moist chocolate cake dessert with the dreamy chocolatey center that you dream about when you picture that molten lava cake that you know isn’t good for you.
Fudgy, Gooey Cake for One [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 Tbsp brown rice flour
- 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 2 Tbsp cacao
- 1/4 tsp egg replacer
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp instant espresso (or whatever flavoring you prefer)
- 1/3 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 – 1 1/2 tbsp apple sauce (1 1/2 tbsp yields a very moist, almost wet cake)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (coconut oil is fine, but avocado oil came out slightly better in texture)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp sized chunk of frozen chocolate, broken into chunks or your favorite chocolate bar (not frozen)
- Mix all the dry ingredients and blend/stir in a microwave safe mug
- Add the wet ingredients and stir
- Drop the chunk of chocolate in the center (it will sink on its own)
- Microwave for 1 minute 50 seconds
- Top with ice cream!
*Frozen Chocolate - If you make homemade coconut oil/cacao chocolate bars, freeze it first. Check out Foodscape (in the author profile) for how to make it at home!