Making your own pâté might sound complicated, but the truth is that this fancy walnut pâté comes together very easily and the results are impressive. Next time you’re entertaining, or want to treat yourself to something extra special try this plant-based pâté! Serve this with vegetables, chips, and crackers for a stunning spread.
Fresh Herb Walnut Pâté [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Pâté:
- 2 cups walnuts, soaked for 8 hours or overnight and rinsed
- 1/3 cup black olives
- 1 carrot
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Coating:
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped, or 2 tablespoons fresh herbs of your choice
To Make the Pâté:
- It is suggested that you soak and rinse your walnuts first. The process of soaking and rinsing removes the enzyme inhibitors and will make digestion easier as well as the final result taste better.
- Blend all the ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor, adding a touch of water if necessary, to obtain a smooth, pâté-like consistency.
- Cut a large square of wax paper or cling foil onto a flat surface.
- Scoop the walnut mash on it and roll it up using the help of paper/cling foil.
- Do your best to roll it firmly ,otherwise the pâté might be difficult to slice nicely.
- Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Unwrap the roll, sprinkle fresh herbs all over the pâté and then roll it in the herbs until it’s fully covered. Wrap up into the paper/foil again and refrigerate for couple hours.
- This pâté is awesome with beet or zucchini chips as well as seed crackers, as a dip for vegetables, or as a sandwich spread.
Leftover pâté will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.