What’s fab about this soup? Everything! It’s quick, easy, packed with onions, packed with flavor, affordable, low calorie, perf for any season, can easily be made in bulk, and is easily bound to become your favorite soup!!
French Onion Soup [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup unsalted vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves only
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts veggie broth
- 1/2 square of no beef bouillon (optional)
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 4 Slices vegan soft cheese
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Melt the vegan butter and olive oil in a large pot or pan over medium heat. Butter should sizzle and brown a bit. Add the half moon sliced onions (cut in half, then cut in half again), cook until the onions have softened 10 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, and sugar, and cook (covered) until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 35 minutes. Onions will brown and be very soft. Continue to stir sporadically to ensure that they don't burn.
- Add the flour and continue to stir the onions for 10 minutes. Add the broth and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and season with thyme, bay leaves, vegan Worcestershire and balsamic. Simmer and reduce by about 1 cup. Remove the bay leaf.
- When you're ready to serve, set the oven to broil, ladle the soup into bowls, top the soup with a baguette slice and vegan cheese and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.